Mangeswari K Profile Mangeswari K

Effect of educational intervention on osteoporosis among tribal premenopausal women

  • Authors Details :  
  • K.mangeswari Lecturer Government College Of Nursing Anantapur

1 Article Views Research reports

Background:- Tribals are weaker section which holds in outstanding number of tribal population in our country. They are not having proper knowledge on osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a significant problem in aging population especially in females, it impacts structural and social burden on health care services in tribals. Objective:- Aim of this study is to determine the knowledge regarding osteoporosis among tribal premenopausal women in tribal area of Guntur Dist. Andhra Pradesh Methods:- This study is descriptive quantitative study conducted among 177 Sugali women & 23 Chenchu women of tribal area in Guntur Dist. Andhra Pradesh from 2015 November to December 2015. A self-administered questionnaire was used to assess the knowledge on osteoporosis by conducting Pre-Tests on this group of people. After Educational Intervention was given with the help of self-instructional module and also conducted a Post Test on these same Group of people Results:- The mean age was 40 to 50 years. Majority of the participants are 177 (100%) Sugali women and 23 Chenchu women in these 177 in which n.150 (84%) women are having poor knowledge and remaining 27 (16%) women have average knowledge. In Chenchu women 20 (86%) women were having poor knowledge and remaining 3 (14%) women have average knowledge on all five aspects of questions regarding Osteoporosis, Menopause, Diet, Exercises and Preventive Methods. After Educational Intervention was given their knowledge was improved by a fraction on Osteoporosis. In the Post-Test 101 (57%) women gained average knowledge but remaining 76 (43%) women remained with poor knowledge among Sugali Women. Out of 23 (100%) women of Chenchu tribe 7 (30%) women got average knowledge and the remaining 16 (70%) women remained with poor Knowledge on Osteoporosis Conclusion:- Although majority of participants had low level of knowledge on Osteoporosis in all aspects regarding Menopause, Diet, Exercises and Preventive methods of Osteoporosis. They perceived a little knowledge on Osteoporosis in all aspects towards preventing Osteoporosis. Comparitively Sugali women are having better knowledge than Chenchu women in all aspects of Osteoporosis. Key words:- Osteoporosis, Knowledge, Effect, Pre-Menopausal, Tribal Women.


Article Subject Details


Article Keywords Details



Article File

Full Text PDF